Criminal Identification (BCI) Menu

Acceptable Forms of Identification

Government issued picture identification that is valid (not expired) with the individual’s name, date of birth, signature or fingerprint is required to ensure proper identification, unless otherwise prohibited by law. The ID must be legible and intact.

Exception to having a signature or fingerprint are government issued Military ID, Passport Cards, Permanent Resident Alien Cards (Green Cards), and Employment Authorization Documents (EAD) (these contain no visible signature). Note that exceptions are only allowed for in-person BCI services including Utah Criminal History Right of Access, expungement verification, Utah Criminal History record challenge, and fingerprinting services.

Acceptable Forms of Valid ID

  • Driver license from any state or country
  • Identification card from any state or country
  • Passport from any country, with or without Appropriate Immigration Document(s)
  • Passport Card from any country, with or without Appropriate Immigration Document(s)
  • Border Crossing card
  • Permanent Resident Alien Card (I-551 – Green Card)
  • Consulate card from any country
  • Military ID
    • Uniformed Services Identification Card
    • Department of Defense Common Access Card
    • U.S. Coast Guard Merchant Mariner Card
    • Other Military IDs
  • Employment Authorization Documents (I-766 – EAD)
  • Federal Government Personal Identity Verification Card (PIV)

Acceptable Forms of Invalid or Expired ID

  • A combination (minimum of 2) of any of the following may be used for acceptable identification. The two documents should contain (at a minimum) a photo and/or fingerprint and a date of birth):
    • A punched (indicating that it is invalid) driver license
    • A punched (indicating that it is invalid) identification card
    • Temporary identification issued by another state without photo
    • Expired driver license
    • Expired identification card
    • Birth certificate
    • Expired consulate card
    • Expired passport
    • Expired passport card
    • Social security card
    • School identification card with photo
    • Work identification card with photo
    • Concealed Firearm Permit (CFP)
    • Driving Privilege Card
    • Prison/Corrections identification card
    • U.S. Tribal or Bureau of Indian Affairs Identification Card
    • Native American tribal document
    • Court Order for Name Change/Gender Change
    • Court Order for Adoption/Divorce
    • Marriage Certificate
    • U.S. Government Issued Consular Report of Birth Abroad
    • Draft Record
    • Certificate of Citizenship (N-560)
    • Replacement Certificate of Citizenship (N-561)
    • Certificate of Naturalization (N-550)
    • Replacement Certificate of Naturalization (N-570)