Suicide Prevention Information
The Utah Firearm Safety Program (2013 HB 134) is a statewide project intended to share information and materials for firearm owners as well as family and friends of firearm owners, on ways we can all help to prevent suicide. The core initiatives of this program are:
- Firearm safety for suicide prevention brochure
- Distribution of cable style gun locks to help prevent suicide. To access a gun lock at no charge contact your local mental health authority, local health department, or local law enforcement.
In Utah, 84% of all firearm related deaths are suicide deaths. Firearm safety is a critical component of suicide prevention for many reasons including the following:
- Many suicide attempts occur with little planning during a short-term crisis.
- Intent isn’t all that determines whether an attempter lives or dies; means also matter.
- 90% of attempters who survive do NOT go on to die by suicide later.
- Access to firearms is a risk factor for suicide.
- Firearms used in youth suicide usually belong to a parent.
- Reducing access to lethal means saves lives.
To learn more visit www.utahsuicideprevention.org